Friday, December 05, 2008

Am in Maputo attending the AACC General Assembly. before arriving here we had a connecting flight through Jo'Berg. George had ignored the need to change our Kenya currency into either Rand or Dollars for use while in Maputo. Partly this was my perception that Kenya being a 'Financial hub' in East Africa it would be pretty easy to access any forex exchange bureau and change into preferred currency of my choise.

In South Africa where i had high hopes it was not possible to so i kept my hopes alive while trying to be positive and optimistic. I watched cute lovely and must have souvenirs but unfortunately had only to store them in my memory via my salivating Retina.

In Maputo this were not better coz it was the same story- 'we dont exchange kenya currency'.

Still refusing to be negative and staying put on positive thinking as advised by famous author Ben Carson in his Think BIG book; i commenced search for an international bank. what was in my mind was Barclays (which i dont bank with owing to the historic formation linked to slavery) but as this time i felt like a slave so had no option. My bank standard chartered was the second resort owing to its scarcity in major Africa cities.

wallah..... was my exclamation phrase when i sighted a Barclays. little did i know that it wont process my card for the now precious Meticar the Mozambique currency.

Here i was wondering what next being a country with my currency which wasnt authentic

No comments: